- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried crushed basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 30 large uncooked shrimp, shelled and deveined (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 10 (8-inch) wooden skewers
- Combine oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, basil, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Place shrimp in a resealable food storage bag or glass bowl. Pour marinade over shrimp; seal bag, or cover bowl.
- Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours to marinate. Soak skewers in water for 30 minutes before grilling.
- Remove shrimp from marinade; reserve marinade. Thread 3 shrimp on each skewer, leaving some space between each shrimp.
- Place skewers on grill over medium heat 4 to 6-inches from heat source. Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, turning twice during cook time and brushing with reserved marinade. Discard any remaining marinade.
- Place grilled shrimp on platter and garnish with fresh basil leaves and lemon slices if desired. 10 appetizer servings.
TIP: To help prevent wooden skewers from charring, wrap ends in foil before grilling. Alternately, shrimp may be placed on metal skewers or sturdy fresh rosemary twigs.
NOTE: To broil shrimp, place on lightly oiled broiler pan; broil 4 to 6 inches from heat, continue as directed in recipe.