- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, divided
- 8 (3/4–inch-thick) slices challah or other rich, dense bread
- Powdered sugar and maple syrup (for serving)
- Whisk eggs, milk, granulated sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
- Heat a large griddle or 2 cast-iron or nonstick skillets over medium. Brush with a thin coating of oil, then a thin coating of butter.
- Working in batches, dip each slice of bread into egg mixture. Cook, flipping halfway through, until golden brown on each side, about 2 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining bread, brushing griddle with remaining oil and butter as needed. Dust French toast with powdered sugar just before serving. Serve with maple syrup alongside.