- Pastry for 10-inc two-crust pie
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash of salt*
- 8 cups thinly sliced pared tart apples (about 7 medium)
- 3 tbsp butter or margarine
*if using self-rising flour, omit salt
- Heat oven to 425 degrees
- Prepare pastry.
- Stir together sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt; mix lightly with apples.
- Turn into pastry-lined pie pan; dot with butter.
- Cover with top crust which has slits cut in it; seal and flute.
- Cover edge with 2- to 3-inch strip of aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning; remove foil last 15 minutes of baking.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until crust is nicely browned and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust.
- Serve warm and, if desired, with ice cream or wedges of cheese.