- 2 sweet red peppers
- 2 sweet yellow peppers
- 3 whole boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup Madeira
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 large tomato
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Core and seed the peppers and cut them into squares roughly the same size as the chicken.
- Heat 1 Tb. of the butter and 1 Tb. of the oil in a sauté pan over medium high heat. Add the red and yellow peppers and stir-fry them until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside in a bowl.
- Add the asparagus to the pan and stir-fry until crisp-tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from the pan and add to the peppers.
- Add the remaining butter and oil to the pan and heat. Add the chicken, in batches if necessary, and stir-fry just until cooked, about 8 minutes. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon, leaving the juices in the pan, and add to the vegetables.
- Add the Madeira, thyme, rosemary and tomato to the pan. Heat to boiling and cook until syrupy. Pour in the lemon juice. When boiling, stir in the cream and cook until thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Return the chicken and vegetables to the pan and coat with the sauce. Heat until the chicken is heated through. Removed to a serving bowl and sprinkle lavishly with chives. Serve immediately.
from The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook, by Julee Russo & Sheila Lukins, pg 90