- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups large diced yellow onions (2 onions)
- 2 cups large diced carrots (3-4 carrots)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tbls.)
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes
- 1 cup french green lentil (7 ounces)
- 2 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon good quality red wine vinegar
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and carrots and cook over medium low heat for 8-10 minutes, until the onions start to brown. Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon. Add the garlic and cook 1 more minute. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Meanwhile, place the canned tomatoes, including the juice, in the bowl of a food processor and pulse several times until the tomatoes are coarsely chopped. Rinse and pick over the lentils to make sure there are no stones.
- Add the tomatoes, lentils, broth, curry powder, thyme, salt, and pepper to the pan. Raise the heat to bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer covered for about 40 minutes, until the lentils are tender. Check occasionally to be sure the liquid is still simmering.
- Remove from the heat and allow the lentils to sit covered for another 10 minutes. Add the vinegar. Season to taste and serve hot. Enjoy!